Portable pressure washers are units that are smaller than other types of pressure washers and need less storage space. The power output of portable pressure washers is similar to regular electric pressure washers but they offer more mobility because they weigh between 9 and 20 pounds.
Best portable pressure washer brands are Sun Joe, AR Blue Clean, Ivation, and Greenworks. Each of these brands’ products has advantages and disadvantages that are presented in the portable pressure washer reviews.
PSI, GPM, power source, additional equipment, weight, durability, power source, and warranty are essential factors that need to be analyzed when looking for a portable pressure washer. These factors are detailed in the portable pressure washer buying guide.
The best portable pressure washers are listed below:
- Sun Joe SPX1000
- Sun Joe SPX200E 1350 PSI
- AR Blue Clean AR112 1,600 PSI Hand Carry
- Ivation Multipurpose Backpack Pressure Washer
- Sun Joe SPX6000C-XR iON Cordless Pressure Washer
- Greenworks 1500 PSI 13 Amp
Best Portable Pressure Washers Comparison Chart
Sun Joe SPX1000
|View On Amazon|
Sun Joe SPX200E 1350 PSI
|View On Amazon|
AR Blue Clean AR112 1,600 PSI Hand Carry
|View On Amazon|
Ivation Multipurpose Backpack Pressure Washer
|View On Amazon|
Sun Joe SPX6000C-XR iON Cordless Pressure Washer
|View On Amazon|
Greenworks 1500 PSI 13 Amp
Best Portable Pressure Washer Reviews (Updated List)
1. Sun Joe SPX1000
Sun Joe is a brand founded in 2009 that produces eco-friendly power tools for the household and garden industry. This brand is renowned for producing reliable and long-lasting pressure washers.
The Sun Joe SPX1000 is an electric pressure washer designed for light to medium-duty tasks. This cleaning unit can easily handle cleaning chores that involve decks, patios, outdoor furniture, fences, windows, siding, pavers, concrete, and more.
The Sun Joe SPX1000 stands out among its competitors because it weighs only 11.7 pounds and delivers high power. This pressure washer’s engine can deliver up to 1450 PSI at a maximum water flow rate of 1.45 GPM. The 2102.5 CU is what makes this unit suited for medium-duty tasks, which is pretty rare among portable pressure washers.
The Sun Joe SPX1000 costs around $100 and comes with an outstanding price-quality ratio.
Sun Joe SPX1000’s safety features include a trigger lock mechanism that does not allow the engine to start until the trigger is pressed and a GFCI cord that stops the unit when it detects water.
The Sun Joe SPX1000 offers high performance due to its power, but also due to the accessories that it comes with. These accessories include a 20 feet pressure washer extension hose, a 33-inch spray wand, a nozzle cleaner, and an adjustable spray nozzle.
The Sun Joe SPX1000 comes with a full 2-year warranty for residential use.
The advantages of the Sun Joe SPX1000 are as follows:
- The Sun Joe SPX1000 has a total stop system that stops the unit when the trigger is not engaged, preserving energy, water, and enhancing the lifespan of the pressure washer.
- The Sun Joe SPX1000 is low pierced considering the high performance it delivers.
- The Sun Joe SPX1000 has an adjustable pressure mechanism.
- The Sun Joe SPX1000 can reach high spots due to the 33-inch wand included in the package.
- The Sun Joe SPX1000 is highly portable.
- The Sun Joe SPX1000 is quieter than similar products in the line.
The disadvantages of the Sun Joe SPX1000 are as follows:
- The Sun Joe SPX1000 doesn’t have a detergent dilution mechanism.
- The Sun Joe SPX1000 has a short hose.
2. Sun Joe SPX200E 1350 PSI
Sun Joe is a subdivision of Snow Joe, a company started in 2001. In 2009, the production was extended to outdoor power tools such as lawnmowers and pressure washers. This is how Sun Joe was born.
The Sun Joe SPX200E is a pressure washer created for cleaning tough stains from unpainted hard surfaces, as well as painted and frail areas. This unit is ideal for light and medium-duty cleaning jobs.
The Sun Joe SPX200E is unique due to its high portability levels and ease of use. This pressure washer weighs only 9.15 pounds and has a compact design. These features allow it to be carried around very easily and without any effort. This power washer is so lightweight that the manufacturers didn’t have to add wheels to the plastic frame.
The Sun Joe SPX200E costs around $90 and has a place among the most affordable pressure washers on the market.
The Sun Joe SPX200E can deliver a maximum pressure of 1350 PSI at 1.45 GPM. This power washer is powered by a 10 Amp engine that comes with reduced noise levels. The motor is really easy to start by using a simple on/off switch.
Sun Joe SPX200E’s safety is enhanced by the 35 feet power cord that is equipped with a GFCI module. The trigger gun also has a lock mechanism that prevents unintended operation.
Sun Joe SPX200E’s accessories are a trigger gun, a 20-feet high-pressure hose, a wand, a power cord, and a nozzle cleaner.
The Sun Joe SPX200E comes with a warranty period of 2 years.
The advantages of the Sun Joe SPX200E are as follows:
- The Sun Joe SPX200E is equipped with a total stop system that stops the pump when the trigger is not pressed in order to reduce energy use.
- The Sun Joe SPX200E has an adjustable spray wand that allows the user to change the rotating nozzle pressure according to their cleaning needs.
- The Sun Joe SPX200E comes with an excellent price-quality ratio.
The disadvantages of the Sun Joe SPX200E are as follows:
- The Sun Joe SPX200E is not suited for a foam cannon attachment.
- The Sun Joe SPX200E doesn’t have a detergent dilution mechanism.
3. AR Blue Clean AR112 1,600 PSI Hand Carry
AR Blue Clean is an American subdivision of the Italian company Annovi Reverberi. This brand is renowned for the high quality of its pressure washers and for its professional customer service.
The AR Blue Clean AR112 1,600 PSI Hand Carry pressure washer is a reliable portable unit designed for light to medium-duty cleaning jobs. These jobs include cleaning hard surfaces such as stone, stucco, and concrete. This unit is also suited for patios, fences, pet cages, and outdoor furniture. This power washer can easily remove moss, dirt, and mold from different surfaces, but is not suited for stubborn grease stains.
The AR Blue Clean AR112 Hand Carry is different from similar products in the line due to the high PSI levels that its engine can produce. The motor of this unit can deliver up to 1600 PSI at a maximum water flow of 1.5 GPM. The CU of this pressure washer is high considering that it is equipped with a 12 Amp motor and weighs 18.2 pounds.
The AR Blue Clean AR112 Hand Carry costs around $120.
The AR Blue Clean AR112 Hand Carry package includes a spray gun, a variable spray nozzle lance, a 35 feet electric cord, a 20 feet high-pressure hose, and a 14 oz. detergent bottle.
The warranty period for the AR Blue Clean AR112 is of 1 year, and it’s a ‘bumper-to-bumper’ type of policy, meaning it covers all the parts of the unit, not just the main components.
The advantages of the AR Blue Clean AR112 1,600 PSI Hand Carry are as follows:
- The AR Blue Clean AR112 comes with a total stop system that expands the lifespan of the pump and preserves energy.
- The AR Blue Clean AR112 has an adjustable spray system that makes this unit suitable for all types of surfaces.
- The AR Blue Clean AR112 has an aluminum adaptor that is durable and prevents leakage.
- The AR Blue Clean AR112 has onboard storage for the accessories, which reduces storage space.
- The AR Blue Clean AR112 has a quiet engine.
The disadvantages of the AR Blue Clean AR112 1,600 PSI Hand Carry are as follows:
- The AR Blue Clean AR112 doesn’t provide great performance when it comes to medium-duty cleaning chores.
- The AR Blue Clean AR112’s case is made of plastic.
4. Ivation Multipurpose Backpack Pressure Washer
Ivation is a brand renowned for developing products that suit various specific needs in different niches of the household industry.
The Ivation Multipurpose Backpack Pressure Washer is a practical portable cleaning unit designed for light-duty cleaning tasks. This machine is a great choice when water sources and power outlets are not at hand.
The Ivation Multipurpose Backpack Pressure Washer is unique due to its ease of use. This unit has 2 straps that allow the user to wear it like a backpack, and it weighs only 13.92 pounds.
The Ivation Multipurpose Backpack Pressure Washer is equipped with a small engine and a 60-Watt diaphragm motor pump that can generate 130.5 PSI. The manufacturers specify that this machine doesn’t deliver water using high pressure. The unit delivers more pressure than a garden hose and is considered portable washing equipment. This feature and the fact that it can be used anywhere without water and power restrictions make this unit suitable for pressure cleaning tasks.
The Ivation Multipurpose Backpack Pressure Washer costs around $160.
The Ivation Multipurpose Backpack Pressure Washer has a rechargeable battery that comes with a 12V car plug that allows the unit to be connected to a cigarette lighter socket.
The Ivation Multipurpose Backpack Pressure Washer package includes accessories such as a spray gun, a 19.6-foot flexible hose, power cord, battery charger, 3 nozzle tips, 4 sealing rings, 1 adjustable shoulder strap, and a removable 4.5 gallons water tank.
The Ivation Multipurpose Backpack Pressure Washer comes with a 1-year limited warranty.
The advantages of the Ivation Multipurpose Backpack Pressure Washer are as follows:
- The Ivation Multipurpose Backpack Pressure Washer can be used fully remote.
- The Ivation Multipurpose Backpack Pressure Washer doesn’t need a power outlet to recharge the battery, as it can be recharged using a car’s lighter socket.
- The Ivation Multipurpose Backpack Pressure Washer comes with an onboard compartment for the cable.
The disadvantages of the Ivation Multipurpose Backpack Pressure Washer are as follows:
- The Ivation Multipurpose Backpack Pressure Washer delivers a low CU of 587.25, which is not suited for removing tough spots.
5. Sun Joe SPX6000C-XR iON Cordless Pressure Washer
Sun Joe was founded in 2009 and has become a world leader in the electric pressure washer industry. This brand manufactures both corded and battery-powered pressure washers that are reliable and long-lasting.
The Sun Joe SPX6000C-XR iON Cordless Pressure Washer is a battery-powered unit designed for light cleaning chores around the house and for washing decks, cabins, RV’s, and more.
The Sun Joe SPX6000C-XR is different from its competitors because it offers maximum portability, as it doesn’t need to be connected to a power outlet. This pressure washer is equipped with a 40-Volt EcoSharp lithium-ion battery that allows the unit to be transported anywhere. This machine’s 600-Watt engine can generate a maximum PSI level of 1160 at 0.78 GPM.
The Sun Joe SPX6000C-XR iON Cordless Pressure Washer costs around $190.
The SPX6000C-XR has a stress select technology that allows the pressure to be customized for a specific cleaning task.
The Sun Joe SPX6000C-XR weighs 19.1 pounds and comes with a detachable 5.3-gallon bucket. This cleaning unit is also accompanied by 4 quick-connect nozzle tips, a garden hose adapter, a 34-inch extension wand, an 8.5 oz. detergent bottle, and a nozzle cleaning needle.
The Sun Joe SPX6000C-XR has a 2-year full warranty for residential use.
The advantages of the Sun Joe SPX6000C-XR iON Cordless Pressure Washer are as follows:
- The Sun Joe SPX6000C-XR comes with a water tank that eliminates the need for a steady water supply.
- The battery of the Sun Joe SPX6000C-XR can be recharged without any restrictions.
- The Sun Joe SPX6000C-XR’s use doesn’t require cords, which makes any cleaning chore and storage easier.
- The Sun Joe SPX6000C-XR comes with high CU levels for a battery-powered cleaning unit.
The disadvantages of the Sun Joe SPX6000C-XR iON Cordless Pressure Washer are as follows:
- The Sun Joe SPX6000C-XR package does not include a battery charger.
6. Greenworks 1500 PSI 13 Amp
Greenworks Tools is a company specialized in the production of outdoor tools and has a leading place in the pressure washer industry. This brand is most renowned for its gas-powered pressure washers, but its electric models are just as durable and reliable.
The Greenworks 1500 PSI is a powerful compact pressure washer suited for residential light to medium-duty cleaning tasks that can remove stubborn stains and dust from various surfaces.
The Greenworks 1500 PSI’s core strengths are weight and power. This cleaning unit weighs only 17 pounds, which makes it easy to move around. The 13 Amp engine of this power washer generates up to 1500 PSI at a maximum water flow of 1.2 GPM. The total CU is 1800, which makes this unit suitable for medium-duty tasks also. This engine is really quiet even though it’s powerful.
The Greenworks 1500 PSI costs around $100.
The accessories that the Greenworks 1500 PSI comes with are 2 quick-connect nozzles, a 20-foot high-pressure hose, a 35 feet long electric cord with GFCI, a wand assembly, and an onboard detergent tank.
The Greenworks 1500 PSI comes with a 3-year limited warranty that includes defects in materials, parts, or workmanship. This warranty policy does not include commercial use.
The advantages of the Greenworks 1500 PSI are as follows:
- The Greenworks 1500 PSI has a GFCI protected power cord that turns off the electric power in case of contact with water.
- The Greenworks 1500 PSI is really easy to assemble.
- The Greenworks 1500 PSI can be moved around easily.
The disadvantages of the Greenworks 1500 PSI are as follows:
- The Greenworks 1500 PSI comes with a low-quality hose connector.
- The engine of the Greenworks 1500 PSI starts off as being loud, and the noise diminishes only after a period of use.
- The Greenworks 1500 PSI doesn’t have wheels.
Portable Pressure Washers Advantages And Drawbacks
Some of the main advantages of portable pressure washers are: providing the convenience of accessing hard-to-reach areas and powerful cleaning performance in a compact and easy-to-store unit. The main drawback of portable pressure washers is that they can deliver lesser water pressure at less GMP, still not drastically lower than non-portable units. Portable pressure washers’ advantages and drawbacks are explained in detail down below.
Portable pressure washers’ main advantages are their size and weight. Portable pressure washers weigh from 9 to 20 pounds while standard power washers weigh 30 to 60 pounds. Portable pressure washers are mostly suitable for light to medium-difficulty cleaning tasks such as furniture maintenance, car, patio, and boat cleaning.
Portable pressure washers are rechargeable and cordless and more energy-efficient than the most powerful electric pressure washers because they feature a smaller water pressure output. Portable pressure washers don’t have to be connected to the water supply as they can use water from a canister or a bucket and turn it into high pressure.
Portable pressure washers have smaller PSI and GPM output than standard pressure washers, and thus, can’t be used for demanding cleaning tasks. Portable pressure washers also come with shorter warranties.
What Can You Clean With A Portable Power Washer?
Portable pressure washers can clean patio, driveways, outdoor furniture, fences, cars, and other stained surfaces. Portable pressure washers can be used for cleaning concrete as well while top-rated concrete cleaners can be more efficient with heavy stains.
Standard vs. Portable Pressure Washers
Portable pressure washers are economical units suitable for occasional, light cleaning tasks while standard pressure washers have greater PSI and GPM output needed for cleaning heavy stains. The full comparison of standard and portable pressure washers is listed below.
1. Portable pressure washers
- Portable pressure washers are suitable for light cleaning jobs such as refreshing the surfaces and washing the dirt and dust.
- Portable pressure washers are more convenient for occasional use, simple and short tasks than heavy-duty units that have to be connected to a power supply.
- Portable pressure washers are intended for cleaning smaller surfaces such as small driveways and front porches when using a standard pressure washer would be cost-inefficient.
- Portable pressure washers are affordable and priced under $100 while standard units can go anywhere from several hundred dollars to more than a thousand.
2. Standard power washers
- Standard power washers have higher cleaning power, PSI, and GPM output.
- Standard power washers are used for light, medium, to heavy-duty cleaning tasks, including cleaning stains, grease, and oils, and cleaning gutters. The pressure standard power washers can deliver is so high that it can strip layers of paint off cars and house siding. Sandblasting kits can be also used for removing layers of paint off cars, boats, and airplanes.
- Some standard power washers, such as a gasoline-powered pressure washer are cordless and, thus, can reach inaccessible places, similar to portable pressure washers, but deliver more power.
- Standard power washers can use both hot and cold water while smaller units typically work with cold water only.
Handheld Pressure Washer Buying Guide
When buying portable pressure washers, factors such as PSI and GPM, weight, power source, durability, water reservoir, battery life, warranty, and additional equipment should be considered, all of which are listed below.
1. PSI and GPM
PSI or pounds per square inch is the number that signifies the strength of the water pressure, and GPM or gallons per minute signify how much water is flowing under that pressure. Portable pressure washers can deliver anything from 1,160 PSI to 1,600 PSI at around 0.7 to 4.5 GMP.
2. Additional Equipment
Some portable pressure washers come with soap dispensers that can be useful when cleaning dirty but fragile surfaces like glass. Portable pressure washers can be also packed with power sprayers, nozzles, extendable hoses, cleaning brushes, and other additional equipment.
3. Power Source
Portable pressure washers can be either recharged or always connected to the power source and water supply. The purpose and frequency of use of a portable pressure washer should be considered when choosing between corded electric and rechargeable/battery-powered units.
Light-duty pressure washers aren’t meant for frequent use and can’t withstand more than 1 to 2 years of use. Most light-duty pressure washers are made of plastic, which is why they aren’t very durable. Some portable pressure washers like Sun Joe can last for at least 3 to 4 years, yet, they are more expensive.
Most portable pressure washers come with short warranties, 1 to 2 years on average. If a portable pressure washer is planned to be used frequently, a model with longer warranty of 3 years should be bought.
Portable pressure washers weigh from 13 to 19 pounds, which means they are relatively lightweight and easy to carry around. Some portable pressure washers come with wheels that make it easier to move them across different terrains.
7. Water Reservoir
Some portable pressure washers have to be hooked to a garden hose, which can limit their portability. Other portable pressure washers come with built-in water reservoirs that can be filled with several gallons of water. This model of portable pressure washers can be used for cleaning hard-to-reach areas and places where there is no water supply.
8. Battery Life
Battery-powered portable pressure washers can operate for 20 to 40 minutes before they need another recharge. The higher the pressure applied, the shorter will the battery of a portable pressure washer last. Some portable pressure washers have a total stop system that shuts the unit down when the trigger is not pulled, which extends battery life.
FAQ About Compact Pressure Washers
1. Is there a hoseless pressure washer that can help me reach hard-to-reach places?
No, there isn’t. Using a hoseless pressure washer is dangerous. Cordless or electric portable pressure washers can be used for cleaning hard-to-reach places. Some cordless pressure washers come with water canisters, just in case the machine can’t be connected to a water source.
2. What Kind Of Detergent Should I Use With My Portable Pressure Washer And How?
Most portable pressure washer brands recommend using specific detergent products, such as floor, patio, or car cleaning or brick and wall washing products for potable pressure washers and provide instructions on how to use them. Some portable pressure washers come with soap or detergent tanks while they can be bought additionally. Some mini portable pressure washers don’t even have the option for a soap dispenser.
3. How Often Will You Use Your Power Washer?
Portable pressure washers should be used occasionally – once a week or once every couple of weeks. Portable pressure washers are designed for light cleaning tasks and can’t withstand heavy and frequent use.
4. Is 1500 PSI Enough To Power Wash A Deck With My Portable Pressure Washer?
Portable pressure washers that have 1,500 PSI are more than enough for deck washing. However, 1,500 PSI can damage softwood and leave marks unless the pressure of a portable pressure washer can be adjusted.
5. Are Portable Pressure Washers Better With or Without Wheels?
Portable pressure washers with wheels are better and easier to transport than portable pressure washers without wheels. However, most portable pressure washers weigh less than 20 pounds, which means all models are convenient to carry and move.
6. How Much PSI Do You Need to Clean the Car With a Portable Pressure Washer?
A portable pressure washer with 700 to 1,600 PSI can be used to clean the car without leaving any dents on it.
7. How Much PSI Do You Need To Clean the Driveway Using a Portable Pressure Washer?
Portable pressure washers with over 1,000 PSI can be used for cleaning fallen leaves and pine cones and not overly greasy stains on the driveway. However, portable pressure washers may not be efficient enough with cleaning stubborn dirt and grease off large driveways.
8. Is a Portable Pressure Wash with 1,500 PSI Enough For Regular Household Chores?
Portable pressure washers with 1,500 PSI are enough for regular household chores, such as cleaning patios, outdoor furniture, stairs, as well as for cleaning sidewalks, cars, and boats. Portable pressure washers can be used for washing roofs and cleaning pool tiles as well.
9. How Far from the Surface Should I Hold the Nozzle of My Portable Pressure Washer?
The nozzle of a portable pressure washer should be held at least 5 inches from the surface that needs to be cleaned. Portable pressure washers with higher PSI and GPM should be used carefully, otherwise, the pressure can damage the cleaning surface – wooden furniture for example.
You can also get some knowledge about the best pressure washer sandblasting kits from Pressure Washer Lab.
Related blog articles: Can You Pressure Wash a Roof? & How to Clean the Pool Tile with a Pressure Washer?