To set up a pressure washer trailer a commercial-duty engine, Triplex Plunger pump, fuel tanks, water tank, detergent tank, hot water burner, and hose reels are needed. The advantages of using a pressure washer trailer are mobility, higher security levels, flexibility, attracting customers’ trust, and more possibilities for business expansion. Pressure washer trailer setup, the differences between trailer and truck setups, and details about the equipment needed to set up a pressure washer trailer are discussed below.
Used, New, or Built Pressure Washer Trailer – Which One is Better?
New pressure washer trailers provide the least risk and are reliable, used trailers are cheaper but less reliable, while built trailers require more time and money and come with the highest risk. Advantages and disadvantages of new, used, and built pressure washer trailers are explained below.
New Pressure Washer Trailer
A new pressure washer trailer provides the most value for money since it is built by experts and it is fully functional and safe to use. The main downside of new pressure washer trailers is that they lose 9% value when driven off the lot.
Used Pressure Washer Trailer
Buying a used pressure washer trailer includes paying a lower amount of money for a unit that can but doesn’t have to be fully functional. The risk of buying a used pressure washer trailer involves paying additional money for reparations and maintenance.
Building a Pressure Washer Trailer
Building a pressure washer trailer is riskier than buying a new or used unit since the construction can fall apart if all of the parts are not properly installed. A pressure washer trailer can only be built by a professional. Building a pressure washer can be expensive because the price of all individual parts overpasses the price of a new or used unit.
Pressure Washer Trailer vs Truck Setup – Which One Is Better?
A pressure washer trailer offers more flexibility, it is more mobile and provides more security while a truck setup costs less and takes up more space but comes with more risk. The pros and cons of pressure washer trailers and truck setups are listed below.
1. Truck Setup
The benefits of a truck setup are listed below:
- More convenient for new pressure washing businesses
A truck eliminates hitch hooking and the need to back up a pressure washing trailer, which makes it more convenient for new businesses. The pressure washer equipment should just be loaded in the back of the truck.
- It Costs Less at First
Owning a truck reduces the initial investments and allows the business to invest first earnings into buying more equipment or marketing.
- It Takes Less Space
A truck is not as big as a trailer and needs less space.
- It Is a Risk
Relying solely on the truck setup can be risky in case the truck is not functioning properly, which results in losing jobs and customers.
- Less Flexibility
A truck is less flexible than a trailer since it has to be used as a work-only vehicle since a pressure washer cannot be unloaded and loaded too often.
- Higher Theft Risk
There is a higher chance a truck would get stolen, along with a pressure washer and equipment, than a pressure washing trailer.
- It Offers Less Space
A truck offers more mobility but not every pressure washer can fit into its back.
- It Doesn’t Get as Much Attention
A truck setup draws fewer leads compared to a trailer as it has less appeal and it is harder to notice.
- Not Suitable for Business Expansion
A truck is less suitable for pressure washing businesses in expansion since it is not possible to upgrade it. Renting a truck monthly, if it is not owned, is more expensive compared to buying a pressure washer trailer.
2. Pressure Washer Trailer Setup
A trailer setup is more convenient than owning a truck because it brings more profit and it is more flexible. Detailed pros and cons of pressure washer trailers are listed below.
- More Flexible
A trailer offers more flexibility than a truck because it can be hooked to any large vehicle. If the vehicle carrying the trailer gets damaged, the trailer can be unhooked from it and attached to another vehicle.
- It Is More Mobile
A pressure washer trailer is more mobile because it can be mounted at the job site or unhokked and left at the site.
- More Chances to Attract Customers
A pressure washer trailer has more appeal and can draw more customers than owning a truck.
- Has Better Security
Pressure washer trailers are less likely to be stolen because they can’t be moved without the help of another vehicle. Attaching a tongue lock, heavy-duty wheel boot or pulling a cable through the wheels can prevent the pressure washer trailer from being stolen.
- More Business Expansion Opportunities
A pressure washer trailer is a better option for small and growing pressure washing businesses than a truck because it requires little to no maintenance, uses no fuel, and it is cheaper.
- It Is Not a Multi-Purpose Unit
A pressure washing trailer is only specialized in carrying a pressure washer and the pressure washing equipment and it cannot be used for other purposes.
- It Is Pricier Upfront
If a truck is already owned, a pressure washer trailer would add up to the upfront costs of starting a pressure washing business.
- It Takes Up a Lot of Space
Pressure washer trailes take up space because they are large and need to carry pressure washing equipment and take up space.
What Are the Essentials for a Pressure Washer Trailer Setup?
The essentials for a pressure washer trailer setup are listed below:
1. The Trailer’s Features
The main features of a pressure washer trailer are a spare tire, full-sized wheels, LED lights, and safety features explained below.
- Spare Tire: A spare tire is necessary to prevent the trailer from being stranded at a job site or on the road.
- Full-Size Wheels: Full-size wheels are needed to drive a pressure washer trailer on a highway.
- LED Lights: LED lights keep a pressure washer trailer safe on the road by making other drivers aware of its presence. LED lights that can be used on pressure washer trailers include brake lights, taillights, license plate lights, and turn signals.
- Safety Features: To be able to use a pressure washer trailer safely, the unit should be equipped with safety features such as breakaway brakes, reflectors, hitch chains, and clearance lights.
2. The Pressure Washing Equipment
The pressure washing equipment that should be used with a pressure washer trailer includes a heavy-duty engine, triplex plunger pump, hot water burner, water, fuel, and detergent tanks, and hose reels.
- Commercial-duty Engine: A heavy-duty engine is needed for pressure washers that have a triplex plunger pump to produce a higher output.
- Triplex Plunger Pump: Having a triplex plunger pump that provides 4.5 GPM of water and 5,000 PSI is needed for a pressure washer trailer setup.
- Hot Water Burner: A hot water burner should be attached to the pressure washer trailer to maximize the pressure washer’s cleaning capabilities.
- Water Tank: A large water tank should be attached to a mobile power washing rig.
- Fuel Tanks: Commercial pressure washer engines need big quantities of gasoline, which is why large fuel tank are needed as well.
- Detergent Tanks: Attaching a detergent tank to a pressure washer trailer ensures better cleaning performance across all surfaces.
- Hose Reels: Hose reels such as spring-driven, hand crank, pivoting, and electric-driven reels should be attached to a pressure washer trailer.
Pressure Washer Trailer Safety Precautions
Safety precautions that should be taken when setting up a pressure washer trailer are related to load distribution. The support frame, fuel tanks, pump, burner, and the engine should be installed closer to the hitch on the trailer and a full water tank should be installed close to the front of the pressure washer trailer. The pressure washer trailer axle should also be located closer to the back to keep the trailer stable.
Pressure Washer Trailers – How Long Do They Last and Maintenance/Reparation
A pressure washer trailer can last for 2 to 4 years if it is properly maintained. If any leaks or frame damages are spotted, a pressure washer trailer should be repaired.