Foam cannon soaps are chemicals specially formulated to foam up when they are pressed out of a high PSI unit. The pH of foam cannon soaps is controlled in order to clean paint, windows, rubber, concrete, or plastic surfaces without removing sealants or wax. Foam cannon soaps form a thick lather that leaves surfaces immaculate without damaging or discoloring them.
Best foam cannon soap brands are Chemical Guys, Adam’s Polishes, Karcher, and Mothers. The advantages and disadvantages of their products are presented in the foam cannon soap reviews.
Before purchasing a foam cannon soap for pressure washers, factors like formula, type, cleaning power, environmental effects, lather richness, and pet-friendliness need to be analyzed. These factors are detailed in this foam cannon soap buying guide.
The best foam cannon soaps are listed below:
- Chemical Guys CWS_110 Honeydew Snow Foam Cannon Soap
- Adam’s Polishes Ultra Foam Cannon Shampoo Gallon
- Karcher Multi-Purpose Cleaning Detergent
- Mothers 05610 3X Triple Action Foam Wash Soap 100 fl. oz
- Adam’s Polishes Mega Foam Car Soap
Best Foam Cannon Soaps Comparison Chart
Chemical Guys CWS_110 Honeydew Snow Foam Cannon Soap
|View On Amazon|
Adam’s Polishes Ultra Foam Cannon Shampoo Gallon
|View On Amazon|
Karcher Multi-Purpose Cleaning Detergent
|View On Amazon|
Mothers 05610 3X Triple Action Foam Wash Soap 100 fl. oz
|View On Amazon|
Adam’s Polishes Mega Foam Car Soap
|View On Amazon|
Best Foam Cannon Soaps Reviews
1. Chemical Guys CWS_110 Honeydew Snow Foam Cannon Soap
Chemical Guys is a global manufacturing company specialized in producing high-quality car care chemicals, car wash accessories, buffing pads, and machines.
The Honeydew Snow Foam is a car wash soap manufactured by the Chemical Guys, and it works with foam cannons, foam guns, and bucket washes.
The Chemical Guys CWS_110 Honeydew Snow Foam offers the benefit of a touch-free wash of the car, and it reduces the chances of scratching the vehicle during the cleaning process. This shampoo is specifically designed to create copious amounts of cleaning suds in a foam cannon or foam gun.
The secret to Honeydew Snow Foam’s high-performance detailing capabilities is in the chemistry. Chemical Guys utilize advanced technology by developing premium super polymers and hyper surfactants that release dirt, dust, and debris allowing them to simply be rinsed away for a scratch-free wash.
Honeydew Snow Foam Cannon Soap rinses clean with no residue and even contains water softeners that help reduce hard water spots. The pH-neutral formula is designed to work on any color paintwork, on any exterior automotive material, it is gentle on wax coatings, and is safe to use in direct sunlight for a spot-free wash. Honeydew Snow Foam is gentle and surface-safe, so it can clean any area of a vehicle from wheels to paintwork.
The Honeydew Snow Foam Cannon Soap can be used as a traditional soap and diluted, 1 ounce of Honeydew Snow Foam to 5 gallons of water, in a bucket or used with a foam gun, foam lance, or foam washer to maximize foam coverage by delivering a thick, rich blanket of surface canning snow foam.
This product comes in three handy sizes: a small bottle of 16 fluid-ounce that fits anywhere, a 64-ounce bottle that can be used for several washes, and the biggest bottle which is 128-ounce.
The 128-ounce bottle costs around $30.
The Honeydew Snow Foam is available in two fragrances, honeydew and watermelon.
This product can’t withstand freezing temperatures, so it should be stored indoors during the cold season.
The advantages of Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam are as follows:
- The Honeydew Snow Foam eliminates dirt and grime using billions of scrubbing bubbles.
- Honeydew Snow Foam is safe for many surfaces: paint, rubber, vinyl, glass, and plastics.
- Chemical Guys offers two smells for the Honeydew Snow Foam: honeydew or watermelon.
- The Honeydew Snow Foam is available in bottles of various sizes.
The disadvantage of Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam are as follows:
- The Honeydew Snow Foam cannot be stored outside during winter.
2. Adam’s Polishes Ultra Foam Cannon Shampoo Gallon
Adam’s Polishes have been in the business of producing and selling premium car care products for over 20 years.
The Adam’s Ultra Foam Shampoo is a concentrated, pH-neutral car wash soap designed specifically for making a huge amount of thick, lubricating foam that can be used in the wash bucket, foam gun, or foam cannon that is connected to a gas or electric pressure washer or garden hose.
The Ultra Foam Shampoo stands out from other similar products with 4 times the normal concentration of a regular car shampoo, by providing the most chemically advanced, foaming capability for customers’ routine washes.
Adam’s Ultra Foam Shampoo’s formula prevents spotting even when washing in the sun directly. Road grime, acid rain, pollution, insects, pollen, tar, oil, and other contaminants attach to the exterior of the vehicle and can deteriorate its appearance. Using strong or inferior quality products can also damage the car’s delicate finishes.
Adam’s Ultra Foam Shampoo gently cleans the exterior of the car without scratching or removing the wax protection. Adam’s Ultra Foam makes large amounts of suds and foam, safe for skin, with a pleasant smell of grapes, and is perfectly pH balanced. The shampoo rinses clean without streaks.
This car wash shampoo is 100% biodegradable and eco-friendly. Adam’s Polishes made their car shampoo highly concentrated to reduce the carbon footprint on their packaging.
The product is available in 2 different sizes: a 16-ounce bottle, which costs around $13, and a 128-ounce bottle, which costs around $60, but it can be used for many car washes.
The advantages of Adam’s Ultra Foam Shampoo are as follows:
- The Adam’s Ultra Foam Shampoo creates large amounts of suds with a pH-neutral formula
- The product is safe to use on wax or sealants, and it doesn’t dry out plastic or rubber
- Adam’s Ultra Foam Shampoo rinses clean, without streaks
- The car wash shampoo is biodegradable and earth friendly
The disadvantages of Adam’s Ultra Foam Shampoo are as follows:
- The product’s price is less affordable than that of other similar products
- Adam’s Ultra Foam Shampoo is available only in one flagrance: grapes
3. Karcher Multi-Purpose Cleaning Detergent
Karcher SE & Co. KG is a German family-owned company that operates worldwide and is known for its high-quality pressure cleaners, floor care equipment, parts cleaning systems, wash water treatment, military decontamination equipment, and window vacuum cleaners.
The Karcher detergents are specially formulated to work with any pressure washer, and the Karcher Multi-Purpose Cleaning Detergent Soap Cleaner is no different. The cleaning process using this soap is more time-efficient. This product reduces the amount of time it takes to thoroughly clean outdoor surfaces such as decks, driveways, sidewalks, home siding, patio furniture, fences, and more.
The Karcher Multi-Purpose Cleaning Detergent stands out from other products in this category due to its concentrated soap formula that makes up to 20 gallons of ready-to-use detergent, while the amount of dilution can be controlled by the user.
The Karcher Multi-Purpose Cleaning Detergent formula is compatible with all Karcher pressure washers, as well as various pressure washers manufactured by other brands.
The Multi-Purpose Cleaning Detergent from Karcher is made in the USA, and it is environmentally friendly because of its biodegradable formula.
It is available in two sizes: one gallon, which costs around $23, or one quart which means 64 ounces of fluid that costs around $12. The soap’s color is green.
The advantages of Karcher Multi-Purpose Cleaning Detergent are as follows:
- The Karchers’ soap formula can be used on any outdoor surfaces such as decks, driveways, sidewalks, home siding, patio furniture, or fences.
- The Karcher Multi-Purpose Cleaning Detergent has a strong, biodegradable formula that creates a thick lather of foam and cleans thoroughly.
- The concentrated formula of the Karcher Multi-Purpose Cleaning Detergent generates a large quantity of ready-to-use soap
The disadvantages of Karcher Multi-Purpose Cleaning Detergent are as follows:
- The Karcher Multi-Purpose Cleaning Detergent may not remove dried mud or very stubborn stains
4. Mothers 05610 3X Triple Action Foam Wash Soap 100 fl. oz
Mothers is a well-known brand that provides premium auto detailing supplies for the interior and the exterior of vehicles.
Mothers Triple Action Foam Wash is a suds-inspired shampoo, that provides great lubricity and scratch protection to the vehicle.
What makes the Mothers Triple Action Foam wash stand out from other similar products, is that it uses a polymer surfactant foam blend which safely dissolves, lifts, and suspends dulling contaminants. This foam is safe and effective on every exterior surface.
Whether a client is looking for a quick, all-purpose, super-foaming shampoo, or a foam concentrate to use in a foam cannon or gun, the car will be left with a perfectly clean, streak-free shine. Mothers Triple Action Foam Wash will not strip wax, sealant, or ceramic coatings because of its dilution-optimized pH balance and formula.
The 3x Triple Action name stands for a reason. Three distinct dilution ratios can be used depending on how stubborn the dirt is. 1 ounce of soap with 1 gallon of water can be mixed to generate a ready-to-use solution for general wash jobs. For a large quantity of suds, 3 ounces can be used, while for more intense cleaning tasks, it is recommended to use 5 ounces of fluid in a gallon of water.
Mothers Triple Action Foam Wash comes in two sizes: the 100-ounce bottle is priced around $13, and the 16-ounce bottle costs around $7.
The advantages of Mothers Triple Action Foam Wash are as follows:
- The Mothers Triple Action Foam is safe and effective on every exterior surface.
- Mothers Triple Action Foam Wash will not strip wax, sealant or ceramic coatings.
- The Mothers Triple Action Foam Wash is cost-effective.
The disadvantages of Mothers Triple Action Foam Wash are as follows:
- The Mothers Foam Wash does not create a thick lather
5. Adam’s Polishes Mega Foam Car Soap
Adam’s Polishes is an American company that was established in 2000, and since then, it became a big name in the world of premium car care products. Their products are sold all around the world.
Adam’s Mega Foam is formulated to generate large amounts of thick, lubricating suds for a thorough wash. The soap can be used with various types of foam guns or foam cannons. Due to its ten-times the usual concentration of regular soap formulas, this product offers advanced foaming capacity for routine wash jobs.
The Mega Foam is different from other products in this category because of its high-quality paint cleaning solution that lubricates the surface without scratching it. The detergent has a pH-neutral formula that is suitable for various types of surfaces which include paint, plastic, glass, raw aluminum, matte finishes, or headlights.
Since it has such a concentrated formula, Adam’s Mega Foam requires just a few ounces of gel to be mixed with water and used in a wash bucket, foam cannon, or foam gun, making it cost-effective.
Adam’s Mega Foam is available in 3 sizes. The small one is 16 ounces, and it costs around $17. The 1-gallon bottle is available for about $60, while the 5-gallon jumbo bottle can be purchased for approximately $250.
The Mega Foam comes in the form of a thick red gel that smells like cherries.
The advantages of Adam’s Mega Foam are as follows:
- The formula of Adam’s Mega Foam is incredibly rich and can generate large quantities of thick suds for thorough cleaning jobs.
- A very little quantity of Mega Foam needs to be used, even for larger wash jobs.
- The formula of Adam’s Mega Foam is eco-friendly
The disadvantages of Adam’s Mega Foam are as follows:
- Adam’s Mega Foam is more expensive compared to other similar products
Foam Cannon Soap Buying Guide
Factors to consider when buying foam cannon soaps include the formula, cleaning power, effect on the environment, humans, and pets, lather, foam thickness, whether the product is concentrated or can be used directly, and pH level.
1. Surface-Appropriate Formula
The choice between foam cannon soaps and pressure washing soaps depends on the surface that needs to be cleaned. Different types of pressure washing cleaning products are listed below:
- Car cleaners are pH neutral and mild so that they don’t damage the car paint or strip wax off. Car cleaners usually contain wax additives that protect the paint and don’t leave marks on plastic and glass surfaces.
- Plastic cleaners are formulated for use on plastic surfaces and don’t contain strong chemicals that can make the plastic brittle or change its color.
- Concrete cleaners are designed to remove layers of dirt and set into crevices in concrete and keep concrete driveways and pathways clean. Concrete cleaners can also be used for cleaning stone and brick masonry.
- Wood cleaners contain special additives that clean, nourish, and protect wooden surfaces and prevent them from losing their protective layer and protect them from rotting.
- Multi-purpose cleaners are suitable for regular cleaning of not overly dirty areas. Although multi-purpose cleaners work on most surfaces, they do not nourish them, and thus should be used combined with wax or sealant.
2. Soap vs. Detergent
The most important difference between foam cannon soaps and detergents is in the cleaning power and the impact they have on the environment.
2.1. Cleaning Power
Foam cannon soaps contain mild natural ingredients such as animal fats or plant oils, which makes them more suitable for regular cleaning. Detergents are made of synthetic components like coal hydrocarbons and petroleum and they work better on greasy surfaces and layers of dirt or mildew. Detergents can be used with any type of water, including hard water as they can soften it. When using foam cannon soaps with hard water, they can leave white residue or scum on the surface that is being cleaned.
2.2. Effect on the Environment, Your Garden, and Pets
Detergents are not an eco-friendly option because they can cause harm to wildlife and destroy the protective layer on the skins of fishes, which is why they are illegal in some states. When using detergents, protective equipment should be worn, including eye protection and protective clothing. Most foam cannon soaps are completely biodegradable and phosphate-free and don’t cause harm to plants or wildlife.
3. Foam Thickness
The way foam cannon soaps work is by lifting off the dirt from the surface, which is possible thanks to the surface-active cleaners or surfactants that minimize the tension between oil and water. Foam cannon soaps produce a lot of thick lather that cleans the dirt in a way regular soaps can’t.
4. Concentrate or Direct Use
Some soap foam cannons should be diluted with water while some are ready-made to be used directly. Concentrated foam cannon soaps can produce up to 5 gallons of the usable product when diluted with 1 gallon of water.
5. pH Level
Foam cannon soaps with lower pH levels contain more acids and can damage car paint. Foam cannon soaps with pH no higher than 7 should be used because they won’t damage car wax or sealant or make plastic change color or become brittle.
Tips and Tricks for Using a Pressure Washer with Foam Cannon Soap
Tips on how to make pressure washing with car foam soap more effective, fast, easy, and safe are listed below.
1. Soap Application Tips
1.1. Don’t Let it Dry
When a foam cannon soap is applied, it shouldn’t be rinsed right away, however it should be rinsed before it dries to prevent white marks from forming on the surface. It would be best to apply the foam cannon soap on a relatively warm, not overly windy day because the sun and the wind can make it dry too quickly.
1.2. Application Direction
Applying a foam cannon soap when washing house siding using a pressure washer should be done from the bottom up. When washing cars, the foam cannon soap should be applied at the top so the soapy water can flow down.
1.3. Use Warm Water
To make sure the foam cannon soap produces maximum suds and bubbles, the surface that needs to be cleaned should be sprayed with lukewarm water first. If the foam cannon soap should be diluted with water previously, the two should be poured into a bottle and the content should never be mixed but gently swirled, otherwise, the suds will form inside the bottle and not on the surface.
2. Safety Tips
2.1. Gear Up
When working with pressure washers, detergents and foam cannon soaps, and sandblasting kits, protective equipment should be worn, including:
- Waterproof boots and clothes protect the skin from strong chemicals found in detergents.
- Eye protection, such as eye goggles can prevent the eyes and the skin around the eyes from harsh chemicals that can cause irritation.
- Breathing masks should be worn when working with gas-powered pressure washers and chemicals that produce fumes.
- Earmuffs or plugs protect the hearing when operating a pressure washer at high pressure.
2.2. Keeping Plants and Pets Safe
Detergents contain chemicals harmful to humans, plants, and pets, which is why they should be kept away from the area that is being cleaned. Plants should be watered before using detergents for cleaning cars, vinyl sidings, and driveways or covered with a tarp.
FAQ About Foam Cannon Soaps
1. Do you need a foam cannon soap?
Foam cannon soaps produce thick suds while using less water and thus are needed for various cleaning tasks. When a foam cannon soap is blasted through a pressure washer set to 1,500 PSI, it will create more foam than regular soaps and detergents.
2. How much pressure should I use with a foam cannon soap to get thick lather?
Pressure washers should be set to 1,500 to 3,000 PSI at a GPM no less than 1.5 and no higher than 5 to make a foam cannon soap create thick lather.
3. Can any soap be used in a foam cannon?
Yes, any soap can be used in a foam cannon, however there is a difference between using regular soaps and detergents and purpose-made foam cannon soaps. Not only do foam cannon soaps generate thick and rich suds but they also protect the surface from scratching.
4. How much soap do I put in a cannon?
No more than 3 to 4 ounces of concentrated foam cannon soap and 1 gallon of warm water are needed for one wash. Pre-diluted foam cannon soaps should be poured directly into the cannon while the amount depends on the surface that should be cleaned.
5. Can any soap be used in a foam cannon?
Yes, any soap can be used in a foam cannon, however there is a difference between using regular soaps and detergents and purpose-made foam cannon soaps. Not only do foam cannon soaps generate thick and rich suds but they also protect the surface from scratching. Some regular soaps can damage the pressure washer’s pump if not formulated for pressure washing.